Questions to qualify a prospect
As anyone on my sales training courses will know – QUESTIONS – meaningful, relevant, open, intelligent, astute – are the foundation of knowing your customer and being able to help them.
- You’ve identified they appear to fit your ideal client profile.
- Your intention is to find out the problem this person is trying to solve (and other problems they don’t even know they have) and what they think they need
- You are 100% present – you’re ready to listen carefully to the language they are using, their communication style and any other cues they share with you.
- You understand THEY will be doing most of the talking
- You take detailed notes.
Some good questions or enquiries to get them talking are:
- Walk me through what is going on in your business at the moment
- How is that effecting what you are trying to achieve?
- What has prompted you to explore solutions now?
- What’s the ideal outcome you are looking for?
The word WHY should come up gently, and regularly, throughout the conversation.
It’s a process of “seeking to understand” rather than jumping to an immediate solution.